About Michael Ware
I'm a hybrid UX designer and front end developer, as well as a digital strategist with over a decade in marketing. With roots in graphic design, I transitioned to the Web in 2006, taking up front end development. After years of agency and in-house work at Elsevier, BP Design, MSI, Magic Hat and the Vermont Energy Investment Corporation, I revived my freelance alter ego Partisan Pixel in 2014.
You might be one of these, looking for a freelancer like me:
- A small to medium-sized business or non-profit looking for a digital rudder, a refresh, a mobile presence or maybe a new responsive website
- An agency or project manager in need of a versatile, collaborative hired gun who can hit deadlines and put clients at ease
- A graphic designer or programmer who needs a collaborator to speak browser and make things work from smartphone to desktop
- A start up looking for a UX designer and front end developer.
Hawkins for Governor, NY State Green Party
UX and visual design, web development (freelance)
Ursula Rozum & the web team behind the dynamic Hawkins / Jones Campaign
Adobe Photoshop, NationBuilder CMS, Liquid, SASS, City Zen base theme
The campaign needed a new look and content reorganization to professionalize it web presence and convert web visitors into supporters. So far, it’s working. Fantastic content and a meaningful political message didn’t hurt.
UX & web design, front end development (VEIC employee)
Ted Spring and coworkers on the VEIC Strategic Technology Services Team
Years in the making, this online rebate system converted a tedious pen and paper process into a cutting edge industry tool for businesses to apply for significant rebates on energy efficient product installations.
UX design & visual design, front end development (VEIC employee & freelance)
Rachel Mullis and Grace Per Lee on the VEIC Marketing Team, Gotham City Graphics
Angular, CSS, jQuery, JSON, Sitefinity CMS
BBD is one of the most enjoyable projects I’ve ever worked on. Each workshop at the conference packs a punch, with amazing speakers who bring a high level of technical insight from the world of energy efficiency building. The conference needed a compact, well-organized, sortable and expandable way to display topics, tracks and speakers on a single page. Angular and jQuery are the secret sauces.
DC Sustainable Energy Utility
Member of the UX, design & front end development teams (VEIC employee)
Noah Dater, Michael Wentz, Ben Burdick, VEIC Marketing and visual designer Becca Gurney
Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, LESS, Bootstrap, jQuery, Sitefinity CMS
An award-winning responsive site for the mighty Washington DC based DCSEU. My main contributions were to the homepage and navigation systems for both desktop and mobile.
Logo design, site design and development (freelance)
Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Photoshelter CMS using the Marquee base theme
Vermont photographer Kent Scrivener wanted to up his online game to showcase and sell years of work. Partisan created the logo and a visual identity, then customized a Photoshelter site from galleries to checkout to print fulfillment.
North American Breweries
Site design and development (NAB employee)
Jim Brayton and the excessively talented crew at the NAB Foundry (formerly Independent Brewers United)
Adobe Photoshop, CSS, jQuery, Drupal 7
After acquiring Magic Hat, Pyramid Breweries & MacTarnahan’s, North American Breweries needed a more visually dynamic site to showcase their expanded portfolio. One of the many sites I co-developed and/or designed for NAB/IBU in Drupal.
Colleagues & Clients, Past and Present
People, employers and brands that I've had the pleasure to work with through the years:
- Bluehouse Group
- BP Design
- Center for Economic Research and Social Change
- Certified Integral Therapy
- Clutch Creative
- Corey Machanic
- Fletcher Allen Health Care
- DC Sustainable Electric Utility
- Efficiency Vermont
- Genesee Brewery
- Gotham City Graphics
- Green Party of New York State
- Haven Custom Homes
- Honey Brown Lager
- Imperial Lager
- Kingsley Poulin
- Labatt Blue, Blue Light Lime, Labatt 52
- Lauren Kusiv
- Magic Hat Brewery
- Media Solutions International
- North American Breweries
- Noumena Designs
- Portland Brewing (formerly MacTarnahan’s)
- Pyramid Brewery
- Seagram’s Smooth & Seagram’s Escapes
- Sprucewood Dental
- Sprucewood Farm
- Tag New Media & Hive 120
- Union Street Media
- Vermont Energy Investment Corp.
- Vermont State Legislature
- Vermont Tech
- Will Miller Social Justice Lecture Series
A special shout out to Corey Machanic and the supportive crew at VEIC for helping me relaunch in 2014.
We are living through a global design renaissance, heightening the design expectations of anyone with mobile phone or an Internet connection. There is an app for everything and 180 million active websites worldwide as of 2014. Users make split second decisions to stay or leave, and those that do linger may never come back if they don't find something useful. Beautiful design is not enough--you also need quality information and functionality.
In The Shape of Design, Frank Chimero notes that in the rapid evolution of our digital world, developers and designers sometimes forget to ask "why" before asking "how". We should first understand what problem we are solving. Everything else flows from there.
My skill set includes:
- Content strategy, the basis of all my work
- User experience design & wireframing (Lucidchart & Balsamiq)
- Layout design (Photoshop & Illustrator)
- Mobile-first responsive Web design
- HTML5, CSS3, SASS, LESS & Bootstrap
- Web typography
- Wordpress, Squarespace, NationBuilder, Photoshelter, Drupal, Jekyll, Sitefinity & Shopify
- Git, SVN and Terminal
- Working knowledge of PHP/MySQL & .NET MVC
- Years of problem solving and learning new systems
I am currently accepting work. Please call or email to discuss your project.
tel: (802) 881-9157
7 Kilburn Street, Suite 210, Burlington, VT 05401